Pope Benedict should have known better. When it comes to holy war and other “evil and inhuman” things, the Bible and the Quran are pretty evenly matched.
Here are some evil and inhuman holy war instructions from the Quran.
- Slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out … if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. 2:191
- Warfare is ordained for you, though it is hateful unto you. 2:216
- Fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward. 4:74
And here are some from the Bible.
- The Lord is a man of war. Exodus 15:3
- The LORD hath sworn that the LORD will have war with Amalek from generation to generation. Exodus 17:16, Deuteronomy 25:19
- And the LORD said unto Moses, Fear him not: for I have delivered him into thy hand, and all his people … So they smote him, and his sons, and all his people, until there was none left him alive: and they possessed his land. Numbers 21:34-35
Dwindling In Unbelief: Holy War and the Holy Father: the Bible vs the Quran