This is just another good example of how unsafe we are post-911.
My Encounter with the TSA
So what lesson did I learn today? I knew from the Mooninites Scare of 2007 that D sized batteries were considered by security personnel to be dangerous items. However, there were no blinking Christmas lights connected to these batteries, just a glued circuit board. I was all eager to draw out a schematic and explain to someone how a switching regulator works, but these people wouldn’t have understood it.
They wouldn’t have grasped that the spare battery for my laptop was far more dangerous than the iPod charger. A dead short of the MintyBoost! would produce a little heat (maybe 4 watts total), a dead short of the laptop battery would likely cause an explosion of the battery…. and I had two of them fully charged.